Many of you know from my newsletter and updates what I have going on in life right now. And unfortunately, as much as I would like to share on here, I am much more limited in what I can post. I am not intentionally putting my blog on the back-burner, but when my whole life right now is something I am limited in sharing, it is much more difficult to find things to post about.
I shared a couple weeks ago about feeling caught in a valley. A number of things seemed to contribute to that, but I am thankful now to be well on my way out of it! Holy Week and Easter both proved to be encouraging times for me. This year, the reality of why we celebrate Easter seemed so much more real in my life. It may be because I know my Pappy is up in Heaven this year because of the love and grace that surrounded the death and resurrection of our Lord. It may be because this year I have more freely given myself to God, been more dependent on Him, and have been strengthened by His faithfulness time and time again. Perhaps because of that it just seems closer to my heart.
Just a quick update on what has been going on lately:
This past Sunday, we celebrated Easter. We had a morning church service with the other missionaries in the area, and time of fellowship during a mid-morning brunch. I always enjoy the music at church, it is how I worship, but this week especially the music was top notch! Enjoyed the celebration of Jesus rising from the grave. This coming Sunday, Ethiopians will celebrate the same holiday which they call Fasika. I hope to go to the orphanage and take some new clothes and treats that some good friends have sent in the mail. Celebration of Easter here looks very similar to celebration of Christmas and New Years: coffee, tea, and lots of doro wat!
One of my closest friends and I are planning a weekend getaway at the end of April. This is my first real excursion, so I am looking forward to it! We'll visit the town of Awassa and enjoy time walking around the lake, time of relaxation, and quite possibly a bowl or ten of ice cream! We will be taking public transport there (a bus) which I am looking forward to. I am sure it will be miserable, hot, and stinky. And the odds of me getting car-sick are HIGH... But it is such a part of life for Ethiopians, so I feel like I have to experience it at least once.
Monday I celebrated 8 months in Ethiopia. It is absolutely mind blowing to me that is has been that long. This time last year I was just weeks away from graduation, and as ready as I could possibly be for August 5th to get here! Now I am starting my 9th month here and realizing that I am just a blink away from the end of July when I will fly home.